Monday, November 12, 2012

Fall Photo Shoot = FAIL

Coming home from work on Friday afternoon, I was mesmerized by the afternoon light.  I knew that if I hurried, I'd be able to take some great pictures of the kids.  The images I was planning in my head were beautiful...sun flares, fall leaves, and us, me and my little lovelies on a Friday afternoon.

I ran by the house to grab snacks and juice.  The littles aren't happy without snacks and juice, so while I was there, I quickly decided to grab a toddler arm chair and the pretty quilt I used in my sister's photo shoot to jazz up our session a bit.  I grabbed my tripod, my camera, my good lens, and I was out the door.

I quickly picked up the kids from school, racing against the setting sun, but as usual, Jack had "an idea."  Instead of heading to the park we usually go to after school on Fridays, he wanted to go to the park by our house.  No problem.  We have time.  We'll make it, I told myself.

We got to the park, which happens to have a beautiful field right next to it, and I started to unload the kids, their gear, and our photo shoot supplies when I realized I may have made a mistake.  It's a lot to carry without someone there to help you.

We finally wrangled our way to a spot, and set up shop.  I was ready to go...the sun was getting lower and lower in the sky.  We had to hurry.  I've learned this lesson before, but apparently, it's one I needed to learn again.  You cannot hurry toddlers.  It can't be done.  And when you try?  Disaster.  At least, in my case.

While I got my sun flare, I didn't get the pictures I'd had in my head.  I didn't make it into a single one of them.  The tripod was never even set up.  I was sweating hard enough just trying to get pictures of the two of them looking at the camera.

See how they're both looking longingly at the park off to my right?  FAIL

See the beautiful sun rays?  Now see how Jack is not looking at me and Hannah won't let go of her juice?  FAIL

Hmm...again, beautiful sun rays, but Jack has his completely disinterested smile and Hannah is not making eye contact.  FAIL

And now, she's rolling on the quilt while her brother dreams of the park.  Oh, and look, I've finally achieved an actual sun flare.  FAIL

So, there you have it.  The good news is that I did get a few shots that were, of course, worth celebrating.  Maybe just not the ones I'd planned:)








I think I'll keep them.  And this adorable video I captured before I was worried she might fall off that springy horse:


{Video: Hannah on the Springy Horse}

Maybe our Christmas card photo shoot I'm planning for this weekend will go much smoother.

Fingers crossed.

No comments: