Monday, December 17, 2012

Unimaginable

Parenting is a hard job.  It's exhausting and self-sacrificing and often thankless.

While I consider myself to be a patient person, I often find myself frustrated by the things my children do.

It drives me crazy that Jack changes his mind about what he wants to wear approximately 3.2 seconds before leaving the house in the morning...

When I ask Hannah to come over to get her diaper changed, and she runs the other way, I want to pull my hair out...

It makes me insane when, as soon as I sit down on the couch, Jack asks me for more orange juice...

And when I'm trying to make dinner, and Hannah is pulling on my clothes and crying, just because, my patience is tested...

But they came home from school on Friday.

Once again, I am reminded that these little, daily frustrations mean absolutely nothing.  That these are not things to get upset about...that compared to what other people are facing, the problems I face are not  even a blip on the map.    Not even close.

I know that I have held my children closer.  I got down on the floor today while cooking dinner just to tickle my little girl.  I helped Jack sort through all of his pajamas to find the very specific one he was looking for the very minute we walked in the door from school.  I made him a peanut butter and jelly sandwich when he decided he didn't like the dinner I had made.

My sweet babies...I just can't imagine...


And neither could have all of those parents and family members.  My heart aches for them...

No comments: