Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Fire Safety

Just recently, Brad taught Jack how to call 911 in case of an emergency.  Jack was so proud to learn this very important piece of information.  He was super excited that Daddy was teaching him how to use the phone and about when it would be a good time to call 911.  Occasionally, they review the number and Jack practices turning on the phone - it's pretty adorable.  Well, last week, Jack's class focused on Fire Safety.  The local firemen came and the students were able to see the gear and take a look at the firetruck.  The teachers taught the students about 911, and Jack proudly shared that his Daddy had already taught him how to make the call.

When I heard that the volunteer fire station was having a family fun day on Sunday, I knew I had to take our little lovelies.  The weather was gorgeous, so off we went.  I was challenging myself not to use the stroller or to carry around the diaper bag...sometimes those things feel very cumbersome and in the way.  Leaving those things behind was a bad idea - I need those things to store our stuff.  Instead, I ended up carrying what felt like 80 individual tiny, oddly-shaped things.  And Hannah is heavy.  And there was a balloon animal line - a long line.  45 minutes long.  But Jack got a very cute balloon lion that he loves very much:)  So it was worth it!

Practicing stop, drop, and roll

Making a practice call to 911.  "My name is Jack.  J-A-C-K," he said.

Trying on the heavy coat

Watching the fireman climb the ladder

We found Uncle Jimmy's locker!

The kids even spotted some of their teachers from school.  They went running up to them and decided to get their faces painted by them too.  Hannah got a purple butterfly on her hand that lasted until we got back to the car :) and Jack got a skull with fire on its head.  

It was a fun outing, and we can't wait to go back in the spring!  I think I'll be bringing my new backpack for that excursion.

No comments: