Monday, July 21, 2014

Wrapping Up in Orlando

On Monday, Brad had to leave Orlando for work.  We knew that he'd have to return home before the end of the trip, and we got lucky that he only had to leave a day early.  The kids and I drove him to the airport early that morning, and we were super sad to wave goodbye.  I think he was really sad, too.  We'd had quite a week of bonding, and I'm pretty sure he was really nervous about me flying home with the kids by myself.  I'll come back to that...

I'd originally planned to take the kids to Animal Kingdom for the day, but the previous days in the sun had sort of done us in - I was still sunburned and both kids had developed a heat rash that was leaving them with increasingly itchy and scaly skin.  I did a quick Google search and discovered there was a science museum in town, so we headed there instead.

We had a really good time, but we were still a little sad because we knew that Daddy would've enjoyed it, too.

They had gators and turtles, too, but nothing compared to Gatorland :)  In fact, we returned to the tank for feeding time, but the kids wanted to leave early because it wasn't even comparable to the death-defying feeding they'd seen just a few days earlier.

A tortoise

Water-play

Harvesting oranges

Meeting Curious George

Building with magnets and shapes

Future pilot?

Digging for dinosaur bones - this was so awesome!

Jack in a geode.

That afternoon I took the kids to the pool they so loved.  We played for a while and walked around the resort before we went out to eat at Outback Steakhouse.  It was a really great evening.

Spray island at the pool

And here's a little something for you - I caught Hannah dancing on the side of the pool.  Completely free and uninhibited, not aware that anyone was paying attention, and thank goodness, I was able to catch some of it on video.  Enjoy!

{Video: Hannah Dances to Carrie Underwood}

Me and my little lovelies on our last night in Orlando

That night, as I began packing, I started to panic.  The stuff to bag ratio seemed off, and I was the only one that could solve the problem.  I was so thankful that everything fit - although I did have to cave and deflate those beautiful balloons I'd been suckered into buying :(  

The next morning, I packed up our family and step-by-step, checked out of the hotel, arrived at the airport on time (unheard of!), returned the rental car, rolled our baggage and our double-stroller to the ticket counter, went through security, fed the kids, and boarded a plane to fly home.  I was so proud of myself, and apparently, so was Hannah.  I think she could tell I was a little nervous.

"Mommy, you're doing such a good job finding the airport all by yourself!  Mommy, you're doing such a good job carrying our luggage!  You did it, Mommy!  Good job!"


{That pony?  It gets me every time...}


Thank goodness that Brad was able to take a couple of big bags with him and that Grandma and Grandpa were able to meet us at the airport when we landed.  And technology.  Thank goodness for technology.  I couldn't have done it without all of their help.  I'm also really glad that my kids both love to fly.  

It was a vacation I'll certainly never forget.  And even though the kids are still too young to probably remember it, they will have these pictures and stories to look back on and remember just how much fun we all had together.

No comments: