Tuesday, September 2, 2014

First Day

Today was a big day around our house.

Our first-born headed off to first grade for the very first time. I was nervous and excited and scared for him all at once.  He may be six and growing taller by the day, but he's still my baby.  I want him to love school.  I want him to do well.  I want him to be brave and to make friends.  I want him to reach out to kids that are lonely.  I want other kids to like him.  I want him to listen to his teacher.

And I wonder what he wants or how he's feeling...  Last night, he mentioned that he was a little scared, but he didn't seem as committed to that feeling as he was on that very first morning of kindergarten.  He's getting braver, my boy.

This morning, we got up a little extra early so that I could take some first day pictures.  I think it's kind of losing it's shine for Jack, but Hannah was loving the chance to be a model :)




Would you guess that this last picture was my favorite from the morning?  It truly encapsulates this time in our lives...sibling rivalry and out-of-nowhere meltdowns.  

I love Hannah's face.  I love Jack's face and the fact that he's still touching the frame just enough to make Hannah make that face.  I love that Hannah wanted this picture to be all about her.  I love it all.  
Luckily, both kids had a great day.  Jack seems very excited about all things first grade, and Hannah did very well in the Three's room for her first full day with her new teachers.  They are sleepy little children, but they had fun and are excited for another day tomorrow.  For this, I am thankful.

No comments: