Thursday, August 14, 2014

We are feeling moody.

Yesterday, in a fit of productivity, I realized that I was sweating up a storm.  In my own house.  And that our air conditioner was definitely broken.  (I've been almost-positive that it was broken, but I just never called anyone to come take a look, and we like to keep it pretty warm anyway so it really hasn't been an issue until someone else comes in and nearly suffocates.)  My time to have it conveniently fixed was dwindling.  I made an immediate call and set up an appointment for today to have it fixed.  In addition, we'd decided that, by the end of the summer, we were going to have our broken water spicket fixed, so I decided to set that appointment up for today as well.  I suggested that Brad work from home in case the repairmen had any questions that I wouldn't be able to answer, or I somehow gave in to some home-repair club that costs too much money because it felt like an easier (and quicker!) solution.

So today was a little different for us in the fact that Brad worked from home.  To be honest, it's not his favorite thing to do.  Who can blame him?  It's hard to concentrate when you have two little ones running around.  I can barely finish a load of laundry, let alone put in a full day of making calls and filling out reports and lining up meetings and such.  Not only is it tricky for Brad, but it's hard for us to forget that Daddy's right upstairs when all we want to do is hang out together.  And it's hard to keep the kiddos from being too noisy or underfoot when they're rather used to having freedom to go and play wherever they like.

We had a low-key morning, the repairmen came and went (the house is as good as new!), and while I'd taken the time to set up the water table and our kiddie pool for some water play at home, it lasted all of 4 1/2 minutes before Hannah got water up her nose and wanted to come inside and change.  I couldn't even get Jack to put on his suit and come out at all, so that was kind of a bust.  We had lunch, Hannah took a nap, and then when she woke up, we decided we'd go to the pool, Daddy included.





It was fun, while it lasted, but, once again, I felt like there's an awful lot of set up for a short burst of fun before the kids were done.  Lately, they haven't been wanting to do too much swimming.  The water's been pretty chilly, and Jack is hesitant in the water even though he was doing so well on vacation.  It's like the layout of the pool has thrown him for a loop, and I haven't been able to convince him he can swim here, too.  We were only there an hour before they were asking to go home.

It's been sort of a moody day around here.  Lots of whining and complaining, adults included.

Maybe next week's change will be good for us.  Maybe the kids are ready to not be together every hour of the day and to have a little more of a set routine.  Right now, I'm sort of dreading it.  I know we've had so much fun this summer, and we've seen and done lots of great things, but I just never want it to end.  I always fear that when I go back to work the family-fun comes screeching to a halt, but I know that's not true.  In fact, the pool will still be open for another two weeks, and I could take them after school, if we want.  

But I still feel like tomorrow is my last official day with them.  And then we have the weekend with Daddy and it's back to school.  So what do we have in mind for tomorrow?  

I don't know yet.  We're still deciding.

No comments: