Friday, November 28, 2014

Turkey Day

This year we hosted Thanksgiving at our house.  Typically, we alternate between families.  Last year, we spent Thanksgiving with my family.  This year we'd planned on traveling to North Carolina to spend Thanksgiving with Brad's family, but Brad's mom and dad have made several trips to North Carolina recently and the last time we traveled the day before Thanksgiving with the kids it was horrendous, so we decided to stay in town and have it at our house instead.

I love hosting events at our house, but I always forget just how much work it takes until those first moments when the party's over :)

I think everything turned out really well, but Brad wasn't too excited about the turkey he fried.  It was a tiny bit overdone, but he followed the directions on the proper cooking time, so I'm not really sure what happened.  We had a 17-pound turkey when we started, but when it came out, it looked more like an overcooked rotisserie chicken.  Oh well - we had plenty of side dishes and desserts, and no one left hungry!

The kids and I made turkey place cards

A perfect place-setting

Jack made a turkey out of balloons (See the eyes?)

I'm a sucker for a pretty table...

Brad made fun of my cooking get-up, but I started cooking as soon as breakfast was over and got cleaned up before dinner, don't you worry...

The first time I ever made Rice Krispie treats!

This is Brad's turkey-frying get-up, so maybe I win?

In goes the turkey!

Of course, I made everyone pose for an obligatory family dinner photo :)

Fruit cornucopias

So many desserts, so little room!

Cupcakes, Rice Krispie treats, and Tootsie Rolls, oh my!

Table details

Grandma and Grandpa brought Hannah and Jack a new Thanksgiving book, and they couldn't wait to hear it!

I made sure that we each took a moment to think about all that we are grateful for...here are our results.  Brad likes to get a rise out of me any way he can, as you can clearly see.

It was a good day filled with family and wonderful food and yummy desserts.  We hope you had a very happy Thanksgiving!


No comments: