Friday, September 7, 2012

I Won't Be That Mom



This was Jack's homework this week - yes, that's right.  I said homework.  And we're just going to move right past that into the real reason behind this post because otherwise we'd be here for days.  We finished his homework last night, and he took it into school this morning to proudly show his class during show and share.

He was enjoying himself last night as he worked.  He was excited to talk about each of the sections, and he loved that he was doing the work himself, with the exception of the family motto.  I wonder how one (one that is four years old) is supposed to know about family mottos and then choose one that reflects his family dynamics.  Can that be done in pictures?  I surely don't know.  So we talked and then I wrote it - couldn't figure that one out without doing some writing of my own.  I promise I tried.

Anyway, so he came up with the family colors.  He knows his and mine and Brad's favorite colors, and then makes the assumption that Hannah loves pink:)  For the family symbol, he started by drawing Gracie and Belle, and then drew each of us and Spider-man!  The family tradition is meant to reflect visiting the turtles at the local nature preserve.

But when we finished working on it last night, and I was celebrating his hard work, Jack made the comment that one of his friend's papers looked prettier.  I just told Jack how great it was that he'd done the work all by himself and that his artwork was wonderful, and how much I loved it.  But it made me sad that he was comparing his creative piece of art to one that was done mostly by parents.

As a teacher, I could never understand projects that would come back done completely by parents.  I remember thinking, "I am with your child every day.  I see the work that they produce when working independently.  Do you not think I'll notice that this project is perfect?  And completely different from anything else he/she has done before?"  I remember feeling badly for the students who did the assignment themselves, but noticed the difference between their work and their peers'.

I refuse to do assignments for my babies.  Their work is important - just the way they envision it - that's how it should be.  I do not want to send the message that what they do is not good enough by doing it better or by doing it myself.  I know this.  In my core.  I only hope that the teachers that they will one day have will also value the work that they do for themselves and celebrate their hard work the way I surely will.

Monkey - your Coat of Arms is beautiful.  I had so much fun watching you work and talking about our family with you.  I love you, Little Man.  You make me proud!




No comments: