Monday, January 27, 2014

Nighttime Shovel Session

I don't know why this is the usual for our family, but we tend to shovel at night.  There's something about a quiet, snowy evening that I enjoy.  It seems somewhat magical to bundle up, head outside, and watch the snow coming down against the neighborhood lights.


It could also be that after Brad gets home, it's usually dark.  And sometimes that's when the snow stops - and we're big believers in waiting to shovel until the snow stops.  Well, Brad is anyway.  I would be out there after a couple of inches if I wanted to do it all myself, but who does?

So anyway - we go out at night and shovel.  I'm sure our neighbors love it :)


Last week, Brad had a great idea that he wanted to test, so he jimmy-rigged an industrial fan we bought when we had a leak in our basement to a trolley cart, plugged it in, and tried to blow the snow off of our driveway.  It took awhile to perfect the model inside, and then we took it out, only to figure out that it did not work the way that Brad had envisioned it in his mind.  In fact, all it really did was blow really cold snow into your face as you tried to shovel the driveway.


I ended up turning it off, and we worked to clear the driveway the old-fashioned way.  Jack was a big helper.



Hannah - not-so-much.


After I got her bundled up and outside (no small task, I assure you), she waddled onto the driveway and seemed okay until snow hit her face, and then she immediately wanted to go back inside to finish watching "The Grunch".  I think I might have mentioned in a previous post that Hannah is slightly obsessed with The Grinch That Stole Christmas, but she calls him the Grunch instead.  So inside she went.

Nonetheless, we had some good family fun.  It's amazing how easy it is to relax and have a good time and not worry about the ticking clock when you know you don't have school the next day.

No comments: