Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Our New Year

Our new year had a sad start.  My 47 year-old cousin, JJ, passed away on New Year's Day.  After battling cancer, surviving surgeries, and trying to find his way in a "new normal," he's no longer in pain or suffering from his illness.  But my poor Uncle John...it is for him that my heart is breaking.  Our family has lost another member, someone we grew up around, spent holidays with at my Grandpa's, and visited during our family reunions, but my Uncle John has lost his firstborn, his eldest son.

No one should ever have to say goodbye to their own children.  To have to watch them suffer and to be powerless to stop whatever comes their way.  It is so very sad.

I traveled to Cleveland this past weekend with my mom and dad and my sister and nephew.  We spent time with family and went to JJ's funeral services.  We supported my uncle, Aunt Lolly, and JJ's siblings as best we could.

But it's not enough.

When something like this happens, it's never enough.

JJ was loved and will be remembered.

And while my Uncle John will never be the same, he will be okay.  We are here for you, Uncle John.  We love you - and we are so very sorry that you've had to go through this last year.  We hope for nothing but peace and happiness for you in this new year.


{Uncle Bob, Uncle John, my mom, and Aunt Kathy - all the siblings together}

No comments: