Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Memories

I know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, and sometimes I think that's true.  And as pleased as I am with the way our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day pictures turned out, there are a few things I want to remember about this Christmas that I might forget one day if I didn't write them down.  And time is ticking...it seems silly to write about Christmas at the beginning of 2012, so here goes:

* If I'm being honest, I usually keep Jack in school for a few days over my winter break so that I have some Mommy-time and to get things done around the holiday, but this year, I decided to keep both of my babies home with me the entire time I was off.  And I'm so glad I did!  We had fun together - getting ready for Christmas, wrapping presents, baking cookies, napping, watching movies, playing with new toys, visiting Sport Bounce and the mall - it really has been a blast.  I've loved every minute of it, and I think they did too.  Although Jack has mentioned his friends at school, and I think he misses it a tiny bit - although I think it pains him to admit it:)

* This year we celebrated Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with our families a tad on the earlier side for us.  Usually we save our family get-togethers for the evenings, but that can be exhausting and hard to do with two, tiny babes, so on Christmas Eve we gathered at noon, and on Christmas Day we began our festivities at three.  It was so wonderful!  The kids were well-behaved, no one was falling asleep, and best of all, we had time with our families, but also time as our tiny, little family of four on both nights.  Loved, loved, loved it:)  Christmas Eve stories and Christmas baths - we've never had the chance to do this before, and it was great.  I hope we do it this way for years to come!

* Jack was at the perfect age this year for Christmas.  His first year he was too little to really comprehend what was happening around him and then the last two years opening presents has been pain-stakingly slow as he wanted to play with each toy he opened for hours at a time before opening his next gift.  We didn't even make it to stockings the last two years, but this year?  Perfection.  He was so adorable.  He'd open something a tiny bit and then say, "Oh.     My.     Goodness.     Gracious," or, "This is just what I wanted!"  He loved looking under the tree for gift tags with a "J" on them, although the whole "From Jack" kind of threw him for a loop:)

* Several times throughout the holiday I have caught our little man snuggling, kissing, and being as sweet as can be to his tiny sister without any coaxing at all.  Just naturally thinking of her and being kind to her.  Makes this mama's heart melt...that's all I can say.

* As I've been soaking up these last few mornings of nursing my baby girl, I've paid extra-close attention to her dewy skin in the wee hours of the morning.  She has the softest, barely-there, fuzziest eyebrows, and I just love to press our little foreheads together or run my cheek over her tiny brow.  I'm also in love with the way that her head drops like a lead weight if you put the pacifier in her mouth as she's falling asleep.  Rests her little head on my shoulder...I can't get enough.  This baby thing is going by way too quickly for this mama who's pretty sure this is the last baby she'll have.  I have to soak up these moments...

* And, by the way, did I mention that I got an iPhone for Christmas?

It was such a perfect, family holiday, and I can't wait to spend many more with the ones I love!

No comments: