Friday, December 16, 2011

The Longest Day of My Life

Last night, I'm pretty sure that when my head hit the pillow, I was dead-to-the-world asleep.  I'm not exactly sure why I chose to coordinate our Santa visit with the same night that Jack has his swimming classes, but I promise you, that in my head, it made perfect sense. 

Our day started out like any other; I woke up and nursed Hannah around 5ish like I normally do, and then I fell back asleep for a little while before getting ready for work.  I got myself, Jack, and Hannah ready to go, but because I was running a little behind, Brad agreed to take Jack to school.  I left with Hannah and dropped her off at Grandma's house before heading to my first school visit of the day.  Arriving with plenty of time, I was very proud of myself, until I realized I was at the wrong school.  We had switched due to scheduling conflicts, and I forgot to switch them in my mind's calendar.  Lucky for me, I was able to get to the right school in time.

I met with two groups of teachers that day, traveling to three different school buildings.  Well, four if you count the first building: )  After my last visit, I went to pick up Hannah, and then she and I went to get Jack.  At this point in my day, I'd already reached sheer exhaustion and hauling Hannah's carseat in and out of the car at every stop we make doesn't help.  When we got home, Jack was a little fussy and Hannah hadn't yet taken her afternoon nap, but Brad had worked from home and he'd be able to go see Santa with us if we went yesterday.  Otherwise, I'd have to make the trek without him, also on a work night, because I sure as heck was not going to attempt to see Santa on the weekeend with the tens of thousands of other people who have that same plan.

So we changed the babies into their Santa outfits and headed out the door.  I say that like it happened quickly, but I assure you that, in fact, nothing happens quickly over here anymore.  So, in actuality, it was probably about 45 minutes after I got home that we left again. 

Even though we got to the mall at a decent time, we still had an hour wait.  And while poor Hannah fell asleep in the car like I'd been hoping, she woke up the instant I had to take her carseat out of the car.  And she preferred to be held while in line.  She also had to go potty - so we made quite a little hike to the nearest department store to change her diaper while Daddy and Jack waited in said line.  Once we got up to see Santa, the experience went much better than I'd anticipated.  Jack smiled adorably, and Miss Hannah didn't seem to mind at all.  Cute pictures and a short line to purchase them later, we were off to the food court to eat because we were all hungry.  Including Hannah Bear, so I nursed her and FINALLY got our sleepy little angel to sleep while the rest of us ate.  And rode the carousel because a three year old cannot go to the mall without riding the carousel.  Ever.

We packed up and drove home.  And the instant we pulled into the driveway, we remembered that we were not home for the night, but that actually, we had to leave in half an hour to go to Jack's swimming class.  And I literally, almost cried.  So we changed Jack, packed his swimming bag, tried to straighten up the house a bit, and went to swimming.  Our little man did very well, even with a substitute coach for a few minutes when his coach got sick.  We were very impressed.  Thank goodness for us, we are now on a swimming hiatus until after winter break: )

After swimming, Brad had to jet off to overnight something in the mail, so I had to get Jack changed out of his swim gear, pack up our two babies, and get them home.  And then ready for bed.  Alone - which is never quick.  I fed Hannah and put her down first while Jack played, and then I got Jack ready for bed, and Daddy made it home just in time for stories and snuggles. 

When both our little lovelies were sound asleep, we trudged to our bedroom, fell down on the bed, and I literally cannot remember another thing.  I don't think I've ever been so tired in my whole life.  I feel like my legs gave way, and I could have fallen over at any second. 

Is it possible that I will miss days like these when my babies are too old for Santa and swim classes?  Probably so, and so I try to soak it all up and enjoy the chaos and the busy schedule.  It's just not always easy...and I'm oh, so very tired.  But I know that it's worth it - the adorable Santa photo and the fact that this summer, Baby Jack will be swimming, or at the very least, not sinking, is worth it.  Of this, I am sure.


No comments: