Friday, June 1, 2012

Just Jack

This post is long overdue.  Jack says adorable and equally hilarious things on a daily basis, and one of my goals is to get better about posting them as they happen, rather than waiting, writing them on tiny slips of paper, finding said slips of paper, and posting them all at once:)  And just in case you wanted to know, all of the photos in this post were taken on Jack's fourth birthday.


The scene: Jack was playing with blocks as Hannah was trying to eat them play with them.
Me: Jack, it's okay.  Don't get upset.  It'll make her happy to play with your blocks for a little while.
Jack: You know what makes me happy?  {Pause for effect.}  When Hannah doesn't take my stuff.


Jack referred to his "big 'ole giant head" one day when trying to put on his shirt.  I think he got that from his Daddy!

Last night Daddy asked him a question after dinner, and Jack responded, "For sure."  Seriously?  At four?


After choosing his own pajamas and getting himself dressed for bed, he came to me in his Superman pajama pants, Woody pajama shirt, and cookie monster socks, and asked, "Don't I look pretty in this?"  I guess I've asked him enough times when getting ready for work that the question stuck.  I decided to respond by saying, "You look so handsome, Buddy!"


Jack: Guess what we learned at school today?
Me: What did you learn?
Jack: We learned about hermicanes.
Daddy: I think you mean hurricanes.
Jack: No, actually, we learned about hermicanes.
(They were, indeed, studying weather this week.)


Jack made up his own contraction.  Amn't.  One day I told him not to do something, and he responded, "I amn't."  I wasn't sure I heard correctly or that he was listening to what I was saying, but when I repeated myself, I definitely heard him say, "I amn't."  

We've talked about how amn't isn't a word, and he should say, "I'm not," but I think he likes his word better because he uses it all the time:)

One night when Daddy was telling him that there's no such thing as the word amn't, Jack just looked right back at him and poked him in the stomach.  We do this to Jack when he's being silly, and apparently he things Daddy was just being funny!


When talking to his baby sister, he tells her, "Hannah, when you get big, I'm gonna miss you when you're small."  It seems I'm not the only one who'd like to stop time occasionally.


When you ask Jack if it's okay for us to do something or to go somewhere, he often responds, "Of course we can!" or, "Of course."  I love it!

He's also very tied to "plans".  Sometimes before we get ready to do something, I'll list the things we have to do first.  For example, before we get ready for bed, we're going to put our toys away and take our things upstairs.  One night, Jack had a specific plan as to the kinds of toys he was going to bring with him to bed (he doesn't play with them, but he just collects things to take with him at nighttime), and he was nervous that I was going to forget his plan so he kept repeating, "Remember our plan?"



Our little man has Peter Pan syndrome.  He never wants to grow up; he says he wants to be small forever.  He seems to understand that Grammy and Grampy are my mom and dad, and they don't live with me.  And that Grandma and Grandpa are Daddy's mom and dad, and they don't live with him.  He asks us about it often.  I think he's smart enough to realize that one day he'll be our size and he won't live with us.  He was talking about it the other night at dinner, but I couldn't speak.  A lump forms in my throat and tears come to my eyes.  I had to look away and get up to do dishes so he wouldn't see how sad this thought makes me, but Daddy did great and answered all his questions.  He tried to explain that one day, a long day from now, Jack will be a big boy like him and have a family like we do.  I can't even type it without getting emotional...

Anyway, as his birthday was approaching, he would ask us if four is still small.  We told him that four is a little bit bigger than three, but that he has lots of time to still be small.  So when people asked him how old he was on his birthday, he would explain, "I was three awhile ago, but now I'm four.  But Mommy says I'm still small."  

He was thrilled to get his big boy bike, though.  He kept saying, "This is so awesome!" and, "I'm a big boy now!" with the biggest grin on his little cheeks.


For awhile now, Brad has been telling Jack that he can see him through walls.  While Jack seemed a little skeptical, he's gone along with it, and just often asks, "Can you see me now?" when he's on the other side of a wall or door.  So the other night I was sitting on our bed while Jack was in the hallway in our bedroom and Brad was at his bathroom sink.

Jack calls out, "Can you see me on the other side of the wall?"

Daddy called back, "I can see you!"

Jack, who thought about it for a second, said, "What am I doing?"

And Daddy and I just had to laugh!  Brad came out of the bathroom, and said, "You got me, Jack."

He was so proud that he was smart enough to figure it out:)

No comments: