Sunday, April 21, 2013

San Antonio

It's 4:17 am, and I am wide-awake.

I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten this much sleep in years, unless my eye was injured or I was really, really sick.

It's pretty amazing how when you are in a new town, staying in a hotel room, and without your family, you're exhausted and ready for bed before 10, and then wake-up feeling completely refreshed at four.  I suppose that six hours of sleep is probably my norm, but at home, I don't feel completely refreshed when the littles wake me up at 7 and we go, go, go until Jack goes down at nine.

With children, it is a different world.

But still, even without that waking-up completely refreshed feeling, it is definitely a much happier world - I miss my family!




Their smiles and giggles and hugs - that's what I miss.  Thank goodness Daddy and Grandma are sending me pictures while I'm away!

I am here, in San Antonio, for the 58th Annual IRA Convention (International Reading Association).



There are so many educators in this city right now, it is unbelievable to me, and somehow, the locals can spot us and our areas of teaching very quickly:)  Just last night, I was walking on the Riverwalk with Kimmee - we were on our way to dinner, and one of the hosts at a restaurant said, "Come on in teachers - maybe you can learn me something!"

We were headed to another restaurant, so we waved and said, "No, thank you!" and told him he was correct about the teacher part, and then as we walked past, he shouted, "Elementary Education, too!"

And no, we weren't wearing our badges.  

I guess they can just tell.  I don't mind oozing elementary education teacher, personally.  Kinda makes me smile...

The city is very pretty - it makes me feel a little European (maybe Venice or France?) which is strange since we are oh so close to Mexico.  I think it's the water way and the dining outside; I imagine - I've actually never been to Europe.  In fact, this is the furthest west I've ever been in the United States.






Later today, we're going to take a Riverboat tour, and I'm excited to hear more about the area.  

We're learning a lot of great information to bring back to our team.  It's very exciting, but it's also things like this that make me desperately want to go back to the classroom.  Maybe once Jack gets to first grade - maybe then I'll be ready.

I think I'm going to get to meet Lucy Calkins today - I'm so nervous!

Yesterday I met Curious George - I was not nervous then, but the picture came out pretty good, and Jack thought it was awesome after I sent it to Brad.  


Later that night, over the phone, Jack asked me if I also got to meet Donald Duck.  I think he might think I'm at Disney World without him.  I told him I would never go meet Donald Duck without him:)

No comments: