Thursday, August 15, 2013

A White Belt and a Lesson Learned

This evening, Jack graduated to a white belt in Tae Kwon Do.  We are so proud of our little man.


He'd been asking me to take Tae Kwon Do for about four months, but we wanted him to finish swimming and soccer.  When those two sessions ended, we signed him up for a month-long trial of Tae Kwon Do, and Jack loves it!

 {warming up with a soldier crawl}

{stretching}

At home, we've noticed a change in his level of respect and use of manners.  And in class, I'm noticing that Jack's ability to focus is getting much better.  In addition to all that Jack is learning, I'm also learning some classroom management skills that will be useful when I go back to the classroom.  His teacher is really amazing at getting a bunch of wiggly five year olds to listen, participate, and focus.

Hannah's picking up some things, too.  Just the other day, Daddy asked her to do something, and she said, "Yes, sir," and gave him a thumbs-up!

To celebrate Jack's success, we took the kids to Chuck E. Cheese for dinner.  We had a good time - shared a Mountain Dew (for us) and milk (for them) toast to Jack's white belt.  They both thought that was pretty cute.

Tomorrow is my last day by myself with the kids before I go back to work on Monday.  I've been really proud of myself all summer, as this was the first time Jack and Hannah did not go to school at least twice a week during the summer.  We did really well, and I don't want it to end!

This week we've been keeping really busy, trying to get every last fun thing in one more time before we all go back to school.  We went back to Volcano Island, went to Bethesda's play museum, and played at Sport Bounce.  Today we ran some errands and then did some back-to-school shopping.  But while we were out and about today, Jack asked me when we were just going to stay home and relax.

Oh.  Ouch.

Here I am, thinking I'm super mom with all these great, fun things to see and do, and all they want to do is stay home and play with their toys.

I realized that maybe to them, staying home and playing with their toys and not having plans can be fun, too.  I know it's fun for me, but the truth is, I usually feel guilty on days we don't get cleaned up and leave the house.  I feel like they must be bored - we didn't do anything!  But apparently, that's not so.  They need some down time, too.

And so tomorrow, that's just what we're doing.  We've cleared our calendar, and we're staying home.  And we can't wait!

Against my original thought that I would keep the kids with us all weekend, I decided to take Grandma and Grandpa up on their offer to watch the kids on Saturday.  I need to run a few more errands, and it will give me a chance to get a few things done around the house and to get organized for Monday while the kids are having fun playing with their grandparents.

Then we can have a relaxing family day on Sunday.

I know that Sunday night  I won't be able to sleep, and on Monday I'll be stressed with a new school and schedule.  But until that time comes, I'm just going to enjoy my little loves for a few more days.

Soak it up really well.


And next summer - I'm keeping one day a week where it's just a stay at home and relax day.  Because they need it just as much as I do.

No comments: