Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Birthday Fun

This weekend was mostly spent celebrating our not-so-little man's birthday, which was just perfect to us because we've really been needing a reason to smile around here.

On Friday, his actual birthday, we had a cookout with family, per Jack's request.  He'd decided this year that his party would be reptile-themed, so I did my best with that :)

The spread

I didn't have it in me to make a snake cake - so instead, I put the cupcakes in a snake shape.

Presents

Jack with Grampy and Grammy

With Grandpa and Grandma

Our birthday boy

And his little sister :)

With Great-Grandma Earlie

With Aunt Ryan

and Aunt Jess!

Jack and Daddy

Me and my boy

It was a really fun evening, and I think Jack had a blast! 

On Saturday, Jack had his last soccer game of the season.  When I originally planned Jack's party for his friends, we didn't have a game scheduled for this weekend, but something got shuffled around in the schedule, and we didn't want him to have to miss his last game.  Luckily, the times didn't overlap, so Brad and I decided to divide and conquer - I'd take the kids to the game and rush them to the party, he'd get the cake and balloons and meet us there.  

I'm glad we took Jack to the game - he earned his medal for the season, and I could tell he was really proud of himself. 

Jack's in the blue shorts, and I love that he looks like a gazelle in this picture :)

Taking a shot

Hannah dressed up for the occasion

Earning his medal

Then it was off to the party!

Here's the invite that we planned around.  I got it here.

These three - they melt my heart!

Jack and Addison

The party crowd

Silly faces - I love the way that Addison is looking at Jack in this picture.

Jack and Hannah in the birthday chair

Dylan, trying to figure out exactly what was going on...

The birthday cake.  Oh, the birthday cake.  

Here's a little story for you - Jack requested an ice cream cake for his party.  At first, he just said, "Just ice cream, no cake," but I explained they don't make them that way.  Also, it's hard to find an ice cream cake that fits a reptile theme - I tried, and couldn't.  I mentioned this to Jack, and he joking replied, "If it's not ice cream cake, then you're fired."

I know this sounds harsh, but it was actually really funny.  Sometimes when the kids are trying to do something and don't quite work it out okay, Brad will jokingly say, "You're fired," and we all laugh.  This was the first time Jack had a chance to try the words out for himself.

So I tried to custom order one at one place, and that was unsuccessful.  So I decided we'd have regular cake, and it would be fine.  Jack doesn't really like cake anyway.  When I told him this new plan, he got really upset - immediately.  And I felt awful.  So I tried to custom-order another cake and was shocked by how expensive that became.  But it was his birthday, and I wanted him to feel special.  

Brad actually had to leave the party for a bit to get said cake because when he went to get it the first time, the shop wasn't open yet.  It was a disaster...and then when Jack finally took a bite of his cake, he casually announced, "Maybe I don't like ice cream cake after all."  

Are you kidding me?  I nearly died.

At least he was smiling at the looks of it!

I love this!

At least someone likes ice cream cake :)

Goody bags

It was a really fun party, but it was also a lot of work.  It's prompted me to decide that next year, I'm doing SIMPLE for birthdays.  No themes, no favors, no goody bags.  I need to reign it in.  I really do.  Hold me to that, please.


After his party, Jack was just riding his new scooter around the house, wearing his orange velour hat that Daddy bought him because it matched the party colors.  This boy makes me smile so very much!

And now he's six.
  

No comments: