Saturday, April 1, 2017

Generosity Feeds

A few months ago, the mom that inspired this post, invited me and my family to join them in a charitable event called Generosity Feeds.

I happily agreed and explained that Jack and Hannah had never done anything like that before, and that I thought it would be a great experience for them.  I especially loved the fact that we'd be packaging meals that would go directly to hungry kids in our county.

When I explained to the family that we had early Saturday morning plans to pack boxes of food, they were less than enthused.  In fact, Hannah cried when I announced (happily!) that we would get to wear hairnets and gloves.  I explained that it would be a family adventure and that I thought it was important that we help those less fortunate than us.  We are very lucky, and Jack and Hannah live a sheltered life and don't know how lucky they are.

We showed up to Loudoun County High School early this morning, and while we weren't quite sure what to expect, we all ended up having a lot of fun.  We got to work at a table with my former student and his family, and while Hannah did refuse to wear a hairnet and had to do a job where she didn't come directly in contact with food, she was even smiling by the time it was through.

Our table team

Daddy and Jack on the food line

Hannah counting bags of food, five per rectangle


{Video: Jack rings the bell}

Taking a box of 20 meals to be quality-checked by Wegmans' staff

Happy Faces

The best part of this morning?  When Jack came up to me at the end and asked if we could do something like this again soon.

I love that boy and his big heart.

No comments: