Tuesday, April 18, 2017

STEAM Night

Tonight Jack and Hannah's school hosted a STEAM Night.  STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math.  To me, it sounded right up Brad's alley, so I sent him with the kids :)

They had a lot of fun, and while Hannah did mention when she got home that she wished I'd been there, I'm glad they got to spend some fun time engineering with their dad.


First, they participated in a 10-foot egg drop.  Brad explained to me that this is a cube structure.  They put the egg in a bag and then surrounded the bag with newspaper.  Then they buffered that newspaper with extra newspaper inside the cube structure to protect the egg.  And their egg didn't break!



Next, they went to a station called Spinning Spheres.  They made a Spongebob structure, and then placed it around a sphero (when I asked Brad how to describe a sphero, he replied, "An autonomous, multidirectional, spherical android," so there you have it).  The sphero could somehow be controlled by a tablet.  I love that last picture so much - my happy scientists, having a blast!

So glad they got to go and burn some creative energy!

No comments: