Friday, April 27, 2012

Great Job, Mommy!

Isn't it lovely when we receive a little bit of positive reinforcement?  Even if it does come from our three year old?

Tonight, as I was tucking Jack into bed, I read a simple, board book about one of the Cars characters.  It was pretty short, and even though he had picked it out, this wasn't lost on Jack.  When I finished reading, he looked through the few pages and said, "That book didn't have very many pages."

I knew what he was getting at and agreed to read another one.  There are four in a boxed set we got him at Costco.  We finished the second one, and without a word, he just looked at me.  I can't help it - he's adorable.  I told him we'd read all four.  I set the second one down on the covers, but before I could reach for the third book, Jack popped up and explained that we needed to put them on top of each other.  In order.  So we'd remember how they go.

No problem.  I can relate to this kind of insanity organizational system.

When I finished the third book, I stacked it onto the top of Jack's pile and reached for the final book.  But my little man, who's a control freak just like his mama, sat up to be sure I'd followed his directions.

And I had.

Which is what prompted him to say, "Great job, Mommy!  You remembered what I said about stacking the books on top of each other."

"Oh, thank you, Buddy.  That's so nice."  We snuggled and I kept reading.

When we finished reading the books, I smiled and watched as my little boy carefully put them back into the box (in the "right" order) and on the shelf behind his pillows.

I love him.  I really do.

No comments: