Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Revelation of Sorts

We've recently purchased some storybooks that are centered around being a big brother and adding a new baby to the family to help Jack with his upcoming transition.  I'd love for it to go as smoothly as possible, and this is one of the ways I could think of, especially since Jack loves books as much as he does.

Tonight before bed, Jack chose to read this book:



When we came to these pages, and I read the part about Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Small Bear, Jack proudly pointed to the illustrations, explaining, "That's Daddy, and that's you, Mama, and that's Jack," just like I've done many times before...

only this time we were interrupted by Daddy (whom I often refer to as Papa Bear, by the way).  


You see, apparently Brad had this book as a small child.  And he was also read this book before his sister Jessica was born.  So when Jack went rattling off the characters and how they matched up to our family, Brad nearly corrected him to say that no, in fact, Small Bear was actually him.  And then he realized that he was, indeed, the Papa bear, gave a little chuckle, and filled me in on everything he'd just realized.  

I laughed so hard I cried.  Which made Jack laugh, and exclaim that, "Daddy's silly!"  And then, in all seriousness, Jack looked at Brad and said, "You're an old bear."

And I laughed so hard I cried some more.  I love story time with my boys - definitely never a dull moment!

No comments: