Wednesday, September 14, 2011

7 Weeks

On Sunday our little miss turned seven weeks old.  It's unbelievable that time is passing so quickly.  Sometimes I wish I could stop time...I love my babies at the ages they are now.  But I also love watching them change and grow; being a parent is the most amazing thing.

{Hannah, napping on the couch and practicing her tea party skills}

Seven weeks is a big deal for me.  With Jack, it was at the seven weeks point that he was fully on formula only.  It makes me sad to think about.

The day we brought him home from the hospital, he drank formula from a bottle.  Things were not working the way they were supposed to, and I had to pump for days without being able to give it to Jack. I think that because of those early problems, I didn't develop a strong milk supply, and Jack and I didn't have a chance to get the whole nursing thing off to a good start.  Jack cried a lot, and it really wasn't until a couple of weeks later that we realized he was always hungry, poor thing.  Even though I say I breastfed him for seven weeks, the truth is I mostly pumped for seven weeks, and I always had to supplement his feedings with formula.  It was less than ideal.

{Jack at seven weeks old}

When I became pregnant with Hannah, I knew that I wanted to try to breastfeed again, and I desperately wanted it to be successful.  I read multiple books (including Breastfeeding for Dummies) to prepare, and after she was born, we worked through some intense pain to get to where we are today.  She was eating every 1 1/2 to three hours during the day, making it seem on some days that all I did was breastfeed.  She certainly spits up more than Jack ever did.  Hannah didn't have a pacifier for several weeks, and we didn't even offer her a bottle until last week (our first attempt did not go well).

{See?}

It has been tricky, but worth it.  I know that she is getting the best nutrition she possibly can.  And if I'm completely honest with myself, I'm super proud.  I'm glowing after every feeding.  And when I pump in-between feedings in the morning, you'd think I'd won a prize the way I happily pour and store milk in the freezer.  I'm so glad it's working, and I'm so happy for Hannah.

But at the same time?  I feel bad for Jack.  Last night I was putting dishes away, and I happened to notice the unopened can of formula I'd bought before the baby was born, just in case.  I'm so glad it's been seven weeks, and we haven't even thought about opening that can.  I just wish I'd been able to do the same for Jack.

No comments: