Friday, September 23, 2011

Just Jack

I am so blessed to have a little boy who makes me smile my biggest smile EVERY SINGLE DAY.  I love that his vocabulary just continues to explode and that his inflection mimics that of a teenage boy.  I especially love that sometimes he remembers that he's only three and calls me "Mama," instead of Mommy or Mom.  Please, please, please don't ever let that go away for good... 

Here's some of what he's been up to:

Last night while feeding his fish with his Daddy, he randomly says, "Daddy, do you know how much I love my fish tank?  (Pauses to allow Daddy to think)  I love it the mostest."

*****

The other night, at dinner time, Jack was unhappy with the way I served his noodles (apparently when he said he wanted meatballs with noodles for dinner and I assumed that meant sauce too, I was wrong).  As he came up close to the table and took a peek, he said, "MooooOM (imagine the way you would've said mom when you were 13 and upset - it was JUST like that), I told you I wanted regular noodles and meatballs.  Not sauce noodles."  And then he grunted in disdain. 

Now, I will have you know, that I absolutely spoke to him about his tone and also made him eat his dinner the way it had been served.  And he actually liked it.  You should be so proud...of both of us really.  But later, after Jack had gone to bed, I absolutely told my parenting success story to my hubby, who laughed at me for calling it a parenting success.  Brad said, yes, he may have eaten the dinner; however a) you bought the noodles he demanded rather than the ones you usually buy and b) you asked Jack what he wanted for dinner instead of just telling him what was for dinner. 

Baby steps, my friends.  Baby steps.

*****

Awhile ago when I brought up some baby toys for Hannah, Jack reclaimed a toy rattle in the shape of a phone.  That night while Brad and I watched the news and Jack was playing with his toys, we overhead this one-sided conversation:

Hi Grammy.

How are you doing?  I'm doing good.

Oh, that's extristing (interesting).


(Jack hangs up the phone, turns to us, and explains what was so "extristing")

She has a problem, she has bad luck.

She spilled a pot of cheese.

*****

If Jack doesn't like something, he'll explain, "But that's not my favorite.  I don't love that, Mama."  It threw me for awhile as to where that came from, but when I was telling Aunt Kimmee, she told me I say that all the time.  She even did a little Erika-imitation, "Oh, I definitely don't love that."  Hmm...perhaps he did get it from me.

*****

Last night, I was nursing Hannah as we put Jack to bed.  We had already turned the lights out and Hannah was done eating, but as I got up to leave, she spit up a little.  I must've said something like uh oh, the baby spit up, and then I started to wipe her (and me) up while double-checking to make sure it hadn't gotten on Jack's bed.  He bolts upright and says, "Seriously, Mama?!"  Ha!  It was a good thing it missed his bed, but Brad and I thought Jack's "seriously" was so cute we laughed.  And then he got his feelings hurt because we were laughing.  We have to be very careful lately because he's definitely been learning about feelings and not hurting people's feelings at school, and he doesn't understand that we're laughing because he's so cute and adorable; he thinks we're laughing at him in a mean-spirited way, and it makes us feel so bad.  Poor little man.

*****

He's just too cute.  How could you resist buying him the noodles he requests?  Seriously.


No comments: