Saturday, September 10, 2011

A Serious Smurf Situation

I know.  You're already thinking how could anything having to do with the Smurfs be a serious situation?

But had you been here at our house this morning, you'd know that it's very possible and very real for an OCD three-year old.

Occasionally I reorganize some of the toys in our family room to keep them from over-taking our living space - a battle I'm slowly realizing that I'll lose.  However, I try.  Since Jack has developed quite a collection of Smurf toys lately, I decided to empty out a basket of Hot Wheels, move them to the upstairs playroom, and put the Smurf toys together in the basket.  Very bad idea.

Within seconds of watching this exchange, my happy little man was hysterically crying.  Big, splashy tears falling on his waffles.

When I asked why, he explained that he wanted his Smurfs to stay on the shelf.  I tried to calm him down and help him realize that this was not something to get upset about and that we could very easily return the Smurfs to the shelf, when he whimpered, "But I don't know what order they were in."

Hmm...should I be seeking medical attention at this point?  I'm not sure. 

Again, I tried to explain that it didn't matter what order they were in, but clearly, it did.  I put the Smurfs back on the shelf which stopped the crying.  But then he quickly got up off the couch, came over, and said that I had not put them in the right order.  I found myself apologizing and embarrasingly admitting that Mommy didn't know what order they were in.  I should not have been concerned because Jack...


Jack did, indeed, remember what order they were in.

See? 




Silly Mama. This is how they go.

Seriously, should I be asking a doctor about this?  Or could it possibly be his age and a phase that I hope will pass quickly?


No comments: