Saturday, February 22, 2014

a sneaky pete and the sweetest thing

Occasionally, I let Hannah nap in our room.  It's only been successful a few times, but every now and then, when we're in a good mood, we'll give it a go.

Today it didn't go so well.  She was very wiggly, and eventually stated that she had to go get her pants. Somewhere along the way, she took them off, and went on with her day, until nap time.  I sent her in search of her pants and told her that she needed to come back right away.

I waited five minutes, and then I went in search of our tiny tot.  She was downstairs playing with Jack and watching TV.  I picked her up, took her into her bedroom, and put her into her bed.  She was already screaming and crying at this point, but I calmly explained that I had given her a chance to nap in our room and that she hadn't made a good choice.  Now she needed to sleep in her room.

I left the room and went downstairs to play with Jack.  Within a few minutes, the crying subsided and I thought that Hannah had fallen asleep.  A few minutes after that, Brad came downstairs, laughing to himself.

He explained that Hannah had ever so silently crept out of her room, walked down the hall, climbed up into our bed (trying ever so hard to not wake her daddy) and snuggled down.  While he did catch her red-handed, balancing herself on our bed, he didn't have the heart to send her back.  He laid next to her until she quickly fell asleep, and then came down to tell the tale.

This is how I found her when I went up to peek:


*****

Brad just came in from tucking Jack into bed, and as he walked into our room, he announced, "That is the sweetest thing I've ever heard."

Apparently, Brad was rubbing Jack's hair and telling him that his mommy used to do that to him when he was little.  He told Jack that he hoped he had sweet dreams.

Jack, sweetly, said, "You, too."

Brad asked him what he would dream about if he had sweet dreams, and Jack?

Jack told Daddy, "You."

Brad is completely sure that he'll remember that moment for the rest of his life.  Rightly so.

No comments: