Monday, February 17, 2014

ungrateful

I'd like to think that I'm a grateful person - that I take time to appreciate the things I have.  That I recognize how lucky I am.  That I say thank you.  Often.

But for some reason - and I have to say I'm embarrassed to write this, and at the same time, I feel guilty about writing this - I sometimes fear that we are raising ungrateful children.  It seems to both Brad and I that lately when we do something nice for the kiddos, they want more.  They don't say thank you for what they have,  they want one step further.  And they melt down when they don't get that extra step.

Prime example - today I took Jack and Hannah to see The Lego Movie.  It was Hannah's first experience at the movie theater, and she just couldn't wait for the movie to begin!  She talked about it all day.  We tried to make it to a late morning show, but they were sold out of all seats except for the front two rows (and that just wasn't happening).  So we bought tickets for a late afternoon show instead, and tried to go about our merry way.  It was a tiny bit tricky for Hannah to understand that we were going to come back, so she was upset initially.  But eventually, I think she caught on that after nap we'd go back.

The movie was adorable, and they both really enjoyed it.  I think Hannah may have liked Frozen more, but Jack had already seen it, and Hannah likes Legos, too.  They were excited about popcorn and chocolate and a fun outing with Mommy.  It was special.


Until the very end.  As they put on their jackets, I collected all of our trash.  On our way out of the theater, I tossed our things into the trash can, as any normal person would.  And Jack immediately burst into loud, splashy tears.  Immediately.

When I was finally able to get out of the crowd and wrangle Hannah back with us, I bent down to figure out what happened.  He was upset that I'd thrown away his fruit snacks.  (Apparently, I missed that there were fruit snacks hidden inside the kids' popcorn bags.)  I initially responded by saying we didn't get fruit snacks, but this only seemed to escalate the crying.  Finally, I understood what he was telling me, and realized I had, indeed, thrown out the fruit snacks.  I tried to explain that he should have said something or held on to his popcorn or told me about the snacks.  That he should've used his words instead of immediately crying.  He simply wanted the fruit snacks.

I felt bad that I'd thrown them away.  We went to the counter, and I explained, but they were not willing to give me said fruit snacks.  $11.00 later, we had more popcorn and fruit snacks in hand, and we were on our way home.

No thank you.  No I'm sorry.  The joy of the trip had been mostly shattered.  Hannah was still excited that she'd been to her first movie,

{she requested a photo with this snowman}


but Jack and I were quiet.  Not talking.

Then tonight, at bedtime, I read the story he picked out, and he was upset that it felt too short.  I tried to explain that I need him to be grateful for what he has, instead of always wishing for things he doesn't have or that he still wants.

I started to sing him a song (like we do every night), and he actually stopped me to say that he didn't like that song.  My head nearly exploded.  It took everything I had not to get up and walk out of the room.  Instead I sang the song he requested, told him I loved him, and then left the room.

I know that they can't get everything they want.  And I'm aware that they usually do.  For some reason, when they're disappointed, I'm disappointed.  But I know that they can't get everything.  The problem is, when they don't, the reaction to that is so bad that it seems worse for everyone.

I want Jack and Hannah to have happy memories.  I try to plan fun, family things for us to do often.  But when, at the end of the day, we end with tears and unhappiness, none of it seems worth it.

So gratefulness is something we're working on.  Any suggestions?  Cause we could certainly use them.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Unfortunately, this is an ongoing lesson that will need to be taught over and over again. I had one that was very upset because he wanted to go to Claude Moore to swim. Chris and I were busy painting Timmy's room and it just wasn't going to happen. Instead of thinking about his 5 day weekend, his nice Valentine's Day, his night sledding trips to the hill, his sleepover with friends, his world crumbled because we didn't go swimming. The lesson for us mamas is that we can't "make" our kids happy…they either are or they aren't. I have one that is grateful for the smallest of things and you wouldn't expect to hear a thank you, and yet she will say it. So what do I do? We've been trying to go to church more to be thankful for the things that we have. I share books with my kids and we discuss them and there have been times where I have found teachable moments and said, "Wow, when you think about it, we are so lucky because…" and then relate it back to the book. I also ask the kids a question every night at the dinner table…sometimes it's "tell me one thing you are grateful for about today." The HARDEST thing is not to give in…to be a strong mama and let that kid scream even though everyone is watching and all you want to do is give in…I've done it, many times, but you do get stronger. But we get this ideal stuck in our head and it's not reality. Reality is life is all these messy bits…and maybe, just maybe, when their all grown, they will realize everything we have done for them. But we might have to wait until we are old and gray. Oh, but when he does say thank you for something…make it into the biggest deal ever…tell him how it makes you feel when you hear it…you know me, use that teacher positive reinforcement. :)