Saturday, February 1, 2014

I love you just fine

This is what 8 1/2 years of marriage and two small children gets you.

What knowing one another for more than half of your life amounts to.

The reality of marriage is often very different from the ideal marriage we all think we see on TV.

I love you just fine.  This is a direct quote from my loving husband :)

We've had a rough week.  The kids (cough *Hannah* cough) have been especially tricky and our schedules are crazy.  We're tired.  I get it.

Today, sort of being silly, I was giving Brad a hug and telling him I love him.  He seemed disinterested - mostly a by-product of our current place in life, but still.  I was wanting more attention.  Maybe for him to even come up to me and say it first.  Does that even happen any more, I wondered.  I'm sure it does, but I couldn't remember when the last time was...

I proceeded to tell him that I love him more, but that's it's okay.  I told him a story I once heard about a much older couple that had been married something like 60+ years, and they had said the secret to a long, happy marriage is to never fall out of love with one another at the same time.  There's an ebb and flow to marriage, and I get it.  There are days I could strangle Brad for the way he puts the dishes in the dishwasher (SO MUCH WASTED SPACE!), but with that said, I'm sure there are things that I do that drive Brad crazy.  For one, he hates how I narrate my life aloud, but I can't help it.  I announce my plans all of the time.  It helps me stay focused and on task.

I digress.  Anyway, I told him that it's okay, and that I just love him more right now.

And Brad said, "I love you just fine."

Oh, I feel so much better.  Thank you.  We better be careful - my heart might just stop with all that flattery.

No comments: