Friday, January 28, 2011

A Perfectly Fun, Wonderful Day

Thursday was such a wonderful day!  We had another snow day (which is causing major work stress, by the way, but what am I gonna do about it?), and lucky for us, Daddy had a snow day as well.  It was so nice to have him home all day with Jack and I, and we took full advantage of this rare occasion.  

{Side note about this picture: when looking at my edited pictures, Brad was commenting on the fact that he was indeed smiling for all of these pictures because he thought he was in them.  I had to explain I was going for a little more focus on the baby with the waist down of the adult idea - one I stole from other photographers.  I don't think he was loving that!}

In the morning, Jack and I watched cartoons and had breakfast, and then we did some straightening up around the house.  We all got cleaned up and planned to go out to lunch together as a family.


We headed to California Tortilla (one of my favorite lunching spots) and had such a good time.  Jack ate a Kids-a-dilla with grilled chicken and some taco chips, which he LOVES.  It usually takes a little coaxing, and we have to refer to it as pizza, but this time around, he ate very well.  We were rather impressed.


While we were there, a much older boy left the table he was eating at with his mom and brother and headed outside to their car on his own.  Under Jack's very watchful eye.  Sure enough, when we were finished eating, Jack wanted to do just that.  He asked me to put his coat on and said he wanted to go outside "all by myself."  I tried to explain that the boy was much older than Jack, but he wasn't having that.  So we faked it - we put his little coat on, let him push through the first set of doors, and then I sent Brad after him secretly, but safely.  Very cute.  


When we got home, Jack and I took a very nice nap.  We love our nap:)


After snack time, everyone got bundled up so we could play outside in the snow.  Jack always looks so adorable all bundled up, and I was so excited because the snow pants we bought last year which were "grow with me" pants, actually did grow with him:)  What a deal...

{apparently this was another picture that Brad was actually smiling for!}

Jack was a little nervous about walking around in the snow by himself because he would sink down into it, which he wasn't loving.  But holding tight to Daddy's hand, he wandered around the yard for a bit before I remembered, "Ohmygoodness - we bought a sled at the beginning of the season!"


As you can see, we spent some time sledding down the tiny slope between our house and our neighbor's house.  It was the perfect toddler-hill, and Jack seemed to enjoy himself.


I realized that Brad is a lot like my dad...super protective and probably overly-careful.  He was very nervous about the perfect toddler hill because of the fence and the neighbor's gutter, and so he planted himself several feet in front of the "danger zones" so as to protect his little family from being seriously injured.  Which meant (to me) that our perfect toddler hill suddenly became a very short slope.  It was very cute.


After Daddy deemed the hill too dangerous, I dragged Jack around the front yard in his sled for a little while, but then some snow made its way into his glove and onto his little wrist, and he was absolutely we were done with the snow.


We headed inside, took off our snow gear, and started to make a very yummy dinner together - we had pork chops and onions, potatoes, peas, and sweet peach iced tea.  Oh, it was so good.  And it was so nice to have Brad at home to help because usually he doesn't get home until after dinner time has come and gone.  It goes much faster with two extra hands:)


It was bath night for Jack, so shortly after dinner I gave my little man a bath and we cuddled up for story time.  I had the pleasure of reading Toy Story for the 3,685,245th time:)  Sometimes I dream about Toy Story in my sleep...is that bad?  We tucked our little man in, and smiled when he said, "See you in the morrow."  It's one of our favorite things...his little combination of "See you in the morning," and, "See you tomorrow."  I don't want it to ever go away...


All in all, it was a perfect day from start to finish.  I don't like being cooped up at home day after day, and I feel like I haven't had a normal week between sickness and snow since Christmas, so it was so nice to have Brad home all day with us and to have fun things to do all day long.  I was loving it, and so were my boys!  

No comments: