Friday, July 1, 2011

What was I thinking?

Today I decided to take Jack to the National Zoo.  Daddy was telecommuting from home and needed some peace and quiet, and I've been trying to fill my days with Jack with as much fun and exciting things as possible in the short time I have left with him as an only.  He's been to a local zoo several times, but he always comments that he didn't get to see tigers or lions or elephants.  So the National Zoo felt like a really good plan.

Except that I'm nine months pregnant, it was at least 90 degrees outside, and he's three.  And the National Zoo is huge.  And hilly.  I nearly died.  Or gave birth.

Jack had a really great time.  He got to see elephants, cheetahs, zebras, apes, lions, and tigers.  The lions and tigers, by the way, were the animals that Jack wanted to see the most.  And they were also on the far other side of the zoo from where we parked (if you'd like to see The Great Cats, I suggest you park in Lot C or D.  You may have to travel uphill to see the other animals, but at least when you're tired and ready to leave, you can go downhill to get to your car.).  I was really glad we made the trek to The Great Cats.  We got to see the lionesses playing with their cubs, a very sleepy tiger, and a lion that roared right before we left - and I'm pretty sure his roar echoed through the entire zoo.  It was very awesome.

Then I had to push the stroller back up the hill to our parking lot.  And I almost called Brad to drive the hour it would take to come and get us because I was so hot, and the hill was so big.  We made it up in three minute increments and lots of breaks:)

So...while it might be slightly crazy or very brave (as an onlooker commented after noticing the size of my belly), the answer to the question "What was I thinking?" is simple.

I was thinking Jack would love it.  And he did:)

No comments: