Friday, August 12, 2011

Did vs. Did Not

Today I did not finish the laundry.

I didn't change the sheets.

I didn't unload/reload the dishwasher.

I did not make a homemade dinner.

I did not clean up all the toys.

I didn't write my thank you notes.  

Or go through the mail.

Or water the plants.

In fact, I didn't accomplish a single item on my to-do list.  Not one.

*****

Instead, I spent my day...


snuggling in bed with a newborn on my chest and a toddler by my side,


watching "Spiderman" bounce on huge inflatables and make new friends,


nursing Hannah while watching cartoons with my little man,


reading stories and napping with Jack,


relaxing on the deck while Hannah slept and Jack went swimming, played in his water table, and built sandcastles,


walking with my family and thoroughly enjoying the recent break in temperature,


feeding turtles,


and taking tons of pictures of these adorable children of mine.


Even though it can be frustrating to not accomplish anything on my to-do list and exhausting to entertain two small children all day, I am grateful for the time I get to spend with them.  I will never get these days back.  They will never be a three year old and a newborn again, and one day, they will not want to spend their entire day with their mommy.  And for that reason alone, my to-do list can always wait.


Today was perfect.


No comments: