Friday, August 26, 2011

Train Tracks and a Birthday

This morning after breakfast and feeding Hannah, I set to work on fixing Jack's train tracks.  A few weeks ago we got him some multi-level risers, but we hadn't had the time to really work on the tracks.  I was nervous about this task, for good reason.

In high school, I had to take this test where you had to look at diagrams of flat boxes, and determine what the box would actually look like if you put it together.  I failed.  With flying colors.  Spatial reasoning = not my forte.

So anyway, I figured how hard could a train track be that's built for three-year olds?  Very hard.  About two hours and twenty minutes into my attempt, this is what I had:


Jack was not pleased.  I took a picture and texted it to Brad, hoping for some suggestions.  Instead, he laughed.  I admit, the lack of skill is pretty funny.  He promised he'd work on it when he got home, but although I'm not good at putting tracks together, I also can't leave a project unfinished.

So another forty minutes later, I finally got all of the tracks connected.  I was pretty impressed with myself and sent another picture to my hubby.  He thought it looked pretty good.


Jack, on the other hand?  Not so much.  While I had successfully made another bridge with the use of a riser, I had not figured out how to have an upper level.  And that was the first thing Jack noticed.  My track was unacceptable to my three-year old son.  He did not play on it all day, and when Daddy got home, he asked him to fix it.  It no longer looks like it did in the above picture.  It is definitely multi-level:)  The lesson I learned?  Do not attempt to fix the train tracks - I will waste approximately three hours of my life.

*****


Happy Birthday, Cuddlebug!  May all of your puppy-dog dreams come true!


2 comments:

Amy said...

oh crap.

I just bought that same set. Crap, crap, crap. Does your hubby want to come make mine too??? We bought it used (no box to look at, no instructions...) and I was just hoping to be able to piece it together the night before the party. Hhmm. I'm currently rethinking.

Erika said...

You may be able to piece it together the night before the party. We've bought a lot of extra track pieces since getting the set, which I think makes it more complicated. I would definitely set aside a few hours though! The good news is that Jack loves the set - especially the waterfall mountain, so hopefully your son will too. Good luck!