Monday, August 8, 2011

Just Jack

I honestly cannot keep up with the adorableness that abounds from Jack each day.  Don't get me wrong - him building independence is still challenging, and we definitely still have our behavior issues, but my goodness - he just says the cutest things.  This might be a long post - I've fallen a few days behind for a couple of super-cute reasons:)

{Yes - they are my reasons}


*****
Belle likes to eat Jack's food, but Gracie prefers Jack's small toys.  The other day, Jack found Gracie happily chewing on a tiny Bullseye toy.  He promptly took care of the situation, directing her to "get in the crate."  When Belle followed Gracie into their crate, he responded with, "Oh, Cuddlebug, you're not in trouble.  I'm sorry - I didn't mean to scare you!"  Belle does not like to be without Gracie, so she wouldn't come out of the crate.  Jack came up to me and said, "Mommy, she won't come out of the crate but she didn't do anything wrong..."

*****
One night before bed, Jack wanted us to call Grandma and Grandpa to ask them to come over the next day.  When we tried to explain that it was late and we'd call in the morning because Grandpa was already sleeping, we could see the wheels begin to turn.  Jack's response: "Well, call Grandma.  She's awake."

*****
At the beginning of last school year, I happened to learn a little bit about an animal I'd never heard of before - an animal called the aye-aye.  Literally, I'd gone 30 years without ever hearing of it.  But my precious three year old can tell you all about the aye-aye, thanks to the nature shows he watches with his daddy.  He'll explain that they take their long finger and stick it in the hole in the tree, and then they eat the bugs all up.  He can even act it out:)

*****
The other night, while taking a shower with Daddy, Jack got water in his eyes.  Which he hates.  A lot.  From the bathroom, I listened to Daddy try to explain that it would be okay.  Then I heard Jack say, "But you don't understand."  My jaw dropped - I seriously thought that was a teenager phrase we wouldn't hear for many years to come, but clearly, no such luck.

*****
Upset that Grandma didn't put his cars in their "proper" racing positions, he told her, "Please don't do that EVER again, Grandma."  (A phrase he's heard us use when trying to keep him safe from physical harm.)

*****
Jack constantly dresses up in his Spiderman pajamas and Spiderman sandals and declares that, "he's actually spectacular Spiderman."  I knew he was a little obsessed - I just didn't realize HOW obsessed until the other night in his sleep, I heard him over the monitor loud and clear.  "Spiderman," he mumbled.  Completely. in. his. sleep.

*****
His newest phrase is, "Mommy/Daddy, I've got a problem for you."  Then he'll proceed to tell you about something or ask something that really isn't a problem at all:)

*****
Jack's sock seams have to be perfect on his feet, or else we have serious problems for the day.  One morning after trying several times and becoming more and more frustrated, he told me that they were "tricky socks" and asked for help.

*****
Last night while the four of us were snuggling in Jack's bed at bedtime, I had Hannah on Jack's chest to say good night.  She was a little fussy because she wanted to eat, and when she cried out, her adorable big brother assured her, "I know Hannah...I have to go to sleep too."  Clearly, he thought she was rather sad about having to get ready for bed.  How sweet is that?

Then, just this morning, Hannah was in the swing.  When she started to stir and make a little noise, I watched Jack rush over and try to soothe her.  He fixed her blanket, and whispered to her, "It's okay, Hannah.  You're alright.  I'm right here."  Man, I love that boy!

*****
One of Jack's toys broke the other day, and unfortunately, it's not one that can be fixed.  When we both tried to explain that it couldn't be fixed and Daddy made a sad face and said that he was sorry about the toy being broken, Jack wasn't ready to give up.  As he walked away with the broken parts, he said, "Maybe some glue will fix it," like it hadn't already occurred to us had that been a viable option:)  Super-cute, but also broke my heart a little bit.  I hate to see him disappointed.

*****
During a play-day with Daddy, Jack had a plan.  "First we'll take a nap, and then we'll play for two hours and two minutes.  Okay, Daddy?!"  He's nothing if not precise.

*****
Along with "why?" Jack also asks lots of other questions, like, "Wasn't that gross?  Isn't that serious?  Isn't that silly?"

*****
"Let's kiss!" Jack exclaimed to me after I'd asked him for kisses and he was too busy playing.  A few minutes later, he came up to me, determined to get some love:)  And that he did.

*****
Last Thursday, this is the precious message I got on Jack's daily sheet from school:
     Our Jack is growing up to be such a sweet young man.  Today he helped his young friends sing the lunch time song as well as the steps that go with it.  Jack always puts a smile on everyone!

This mama's heart just beamed, I can't even tell you.

No comments: