Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A D.C. Getaway

So, since our anniversary was on the 5th, and Brad is super-hard to shop for, I decided that I would plan an overnight getaway for just the two of us as his anniversary present.  Last Saturday, we dropped off Jack and the puppies at my parents' house, and headed into the city.  We stayed at a pretty swanky hotel - The St. Regis (thank you, Starwood points - I heart you!).  We walked around downtown like real city folk, well...until we stalked the front of the White House like the rest of the tourists.  We Brad enjoyed, not one, but two different art museums (turns out I'm not really an art museum kindagirl, but who knew?), had a quiet, romantic dinner at McCormick and Schmick's, and slept uninterrupted and in complete silence for over eight hours.  It was magical:) 

For my anniversary present, Brad got me a super-awesome camera.  I'm still browsing through the manual and learning how to use it to get the looks that I'm really going for, but I love it.  And it was a surprise, which is even better.  Some of the shots from our date our from our new camera, but some of them were taken with my usual camera since there's still a comfort level there.  Here's our day in some kinda artsy photos:

Our hotel (apparently prime ministers and presidents stay here all the time, although, we didn't see any)

Swanky chandelier

Statue outside the Corcoran Gallery of Art

On the way to the next museum

Guess who's home?

The White House

Can you guess who took this photo?

My favorite from the day

Majestic

Washington Monument

American Art Museum

The courtyard was beautiful

Hanging out after dinner

Yeah - so, the bathroom mirror had a tv inside of it

We had tons of fun, but it was so good to come home and pick up Baby Jack and our puppies.  Thanks, Mom and Dad for baby/puppy-sitting:)

1 comment:

John Nix said...

I can't wait to come see you guys..wish i could next week, but soon..you'll have to give me the tour of DC (maybe we can skip the art museums. But I'd like to see the smithsonian..