Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just Jack

1.  A few weeks ago, I took Jack into school and they were just preparing to have snack.  One of the teachers said she had saved a place for him, and I look over and notice that Jack's place setting has a cup without a lid.  So I asked her if he drinks from his cup without a lid, and she said yes.  My jaw hit the floor, and then I managed to ask when that had started.  Miss Shannon kindly replied, "Since he turned two." 
     My response was of course, "Ohmygoodness, ladies, you have to tell me these things; I have NO IDEA what I'm doing!  I was happy that we moved to cups with lids without suction!"
     That night at dinner, we tried to give Jack a cup without a lid, and it was very unsuccessful.  Milk went everywhere, and poor Baby Jack was soaked.  I figured we'd give it a little more time, and a couple of weeks later, I spoke to Miss Tab about the cup again.  She said that they only give him about an inch of milk in the cup (explains so much...) and always tell him to use two hands (duh, Mommy). 
   A couple of nights ago, we tried again.  SUCCESS:)  Jack was so proud of himself!



He kept saying, "I'm such a big boy!"

2.  After dinner yesterday, Jack hadn't quite finished with his milk, and I allowed him to put it on the little kiddie table that we have for him.  Bad idea (what with the no lid and all).  In all his two-year-old glory, he came through the kitchen swinging Skinny Bear (you've seen how long this bear is, right?) at full force.  Before I knew what had happened, I was covered in milk from the knees down.  So were the kitchen cabinets, the floor, and possibly one of the puppy dogs.  I closed my eyes, took a deep breath, and began to count to ten.  I think I made it to three before Jack said, "My milk fell, Mama.  Mama, my milk fell."  Like it had just jumped off the kiddie table and onto the floor.  Too cute for words.

3.  Last night, I believe Jack had his very first bad dream.  He woke up at about 5:00, and when I went in to soothe him he was crying, and he kept saying, "Where are the doggies?"  Bless his little heart, he was still half-asleep, but oh, so miserable.  I just tried to tell him that the doggies were sleeping and that it was all okay.  I tucked him back in, rubbed his little back, and whispered, "I love you, Baby."
     "I love you, Mama."  Melt. my. heart.

4.  So remember the other day I blogged about the potty-training craziness, well that night, I had some girl-time with my friend Julie.  At dinner we were talking about the craziness (I know, I know - wonderful dinner conversation), and Julie suggested that I put a little potty in my bathroom...ya know, to prevent future rug disasters.  I immediately dismissed the idea for several reasons.  Surely, Jack can't take off his own shorts and underpants.  The doctor said little potties aren't that great and make for harder transitions (and as it is, I certainly don't need any help with that).  We have a little potty, but Jack never really wanted to use it, and I'd stuffed it into a closet after the doctor's visit.  But the more I got to thinking about it, the more I thought I should take Julie up on her advice.  Without kiddos of her own, she offered a fresh, logical perspective, so today, before I took my shower, I brought out the little potty and set it up in our bathroom.
     Sure enough, just as I was about to shave my legs, Jack comes running into the bathroom announcing he has to go potty.  I tell him to take off his shorts and his underpants, and HE STARTS TO DO IT.  Now, it definitely took a tad bit longer, but ohmygoodness he did it.  He sat himself down on his little potty and went right away.  He was so proud of himself, but not as proud as I was of him.  My little heart was swelling.  Now...did he get every last drop into the potty?  Probably not.  Did he do the shimmy-shake?  Nope.  Did he wander around naked from the waist down for the next 10 minutes?  Definitely.  But did I have to wash clothes and my bathroom rug this morning?  No, I did not.  Thankyouverymuch.
     Julie, you are an angel.  I heart you!

If all of this didn't make you smile, I don't know what will!

No comments: