Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Just Jack...Recently

Jack is as busy as ever these days, and I can barely keep up with recording all of the hilarious and adorable things that he does every day.  He definitely keeps us on our toes, that's for sure...

Yesterday at his yearly check-up he weighed 30 pounds (25-50th percentile) and was 37 inches tall (50th percentile).  Brad and I were thinking he might get really lucky and be built like Grampy and Grandpa, but with those percentages, it's not seeming very likely.  Developmentally, he's doing great, although I did learn that we need to work on knowing our full name:)  Jack received a clean bill of health while we were there, and he's all set for another year.  We even escaped without any shots, so that was wonderful and made it much easier to head to school afterwards too.  

Here he is eating dinner with Skinny Bear in what he deemed was his new spot at the table.

Jack has always been extremely observant, but lately I've been surprised by his comments and just how much he really is watching and listening to every single thing around him.  One morning on our way to school he announced that his toy "has green eyes like Daddy."  I was astonished to find out that he knew what color Daddy's eyes are, and then I asked him what color my eyes were, and he said, "Blue, like Jack's eyes."  Indeed.

While watching The Cat in the Hat, he noticed that it was raining in the movie, and immediately made a connection, saying, "It's raining today just like ours is raining."  Meaning that while it was raining in the movie, it was also raining outside our house.  His teachers will love his making connections skills:)

After watching an episode of Blue's Clues where Steve leaves for college, Jack looked up at me and said, "I wish I could go to college like Steve."  I bravely told him that one day he can, and then considered running to the bathroom to cry my eyes out.  My only consolation is that it's still 15 years away.  I've got some time to adjust...

Every night when Jack hears Brad open the garage door, he runs outside to greet him.

When we leave for school in the mornings, he'll often glance outside the garage and comment, "What a nice day today," with just my inflection.  Even if it's raining or cloudy or cold.  Adorable.

On our way to the minute clinic last month, I told Jack we were going to see a different doctor.  When we pulled into the shopping center, he said, "But Mommy, this is where dinner lives," because he could see restaurants and didn't recognize the area as a place a doctor's office would be located.

When he wants to know what something says, he'll ask, "Mommy, what's this about?"

Cute vocabulary words:

buh-loo = blue
meelk = milk
grills = girls (our puppy dogs)

Not sure why he adds extra syllables or has an accent occasionally, but it's too adorable for the time being!

He loves to climb up in Daddy's lap, and this night, very much enjoyed posing for pictures.

At three years old, Jack is a pretty strong negotiator and loves to make a plan.  For example, while eating Sunday Steak Dinner one night, he pulled out three pieces of steak and said, "I'll eat these steaks and then I can have an Oreo."  Or he might say, "First, I'm going to go get new underwear and socks, and then I'll go potty."

Jack is very in touch with his body.  Just tonight, after his shower, he asked me, "Mama, what's wrong with my nipples?"  When I asked him what he meant, he said that they were all red.  So I had to example that his nipples are always a different color from the rest of his chest, and that seemed to be a perfectly acceptable answer to him, thankgoodness.


The other afternoon, he came running from the bathroom, crying and saying that he couldn't find his toy airplane.  When I went in to investigate, I didn't see it anywhere and said it must be somewhere else.  He started crying harder and jumping up and down, and then he pointed to the air vent.  Finally, he said, "Mommy, it went in there!"  Like it had just flown in all by itself.  Or maybe the vent just sucked it up.  I asked Jack if he put the airplane in the vent, and he said yes:)  Now we were getting somewhere...

If we go for a walk and Jack wants to ride in the stroller, he says that we're going for a "green walk."  You know...since our stroller is green, of course!

Love. Love. Love. this picture

Jack loves the puppy dogs, although he doesn't always love their kisses or the fact that they may a) steal his food or b) chew on his toys.  He does routinely "scrub them" (rub their backs) and check their ears to see if they have an ear infection.  Apparently, he's noticed that Belle is rather prone to ear infections.  This morning, he was trying to check Gracie's ears when he announced that he couldn't find them.  I don't blame him; she is a little furry:)

He's currently learning to color inside the lines!  One night at dinner, Daddy colored a picture for Jack.  The entire time, Jack was intently watching what Brad was doing, and when Brad handed him the picture of Buzz, colored inside the lines, he just stared and stared at it.  Immediately, he chose another picture and began focusing on the details of the drawing with his little markers.  It was the cutest thing - I laminated both the Buzz picture and the picture Jack did immediately after because I was so proud.


And finally, this whole "big brother" thing...  While I think he may be a little unclear about some of the details, I also firmly believe that Jack is going to be the best big brother ever.  To hear him talk about Peanut is the cutest thing in the world...makes this mama's heart melt.

Whenever he wants to kiss the baby, he insists that I pull my shirt up and looks for one of the freckles on my stomach to kiss that spot.  Apparently, he thinks she hides behind the freckles and can only feel his kisses if my belly is bare:)

The other morning when I asked him if he thought Baby Girl would like her room, he responded with, "I think my sister will like {insert Baby Girl's name} room.  Hmmm...does he think they're two different people?

When his soccer coach asked him if he was having a little brother or sister, he explained that he's having a boy and I'm having a girl.  Uh-oh!

This morning he was playing with his Mickey airplane which he can ride on, but it also has a handle so that a toddler can push it around.  He was asking me what the handle was for, and when I explained, he said that Baby Girl will like to push it around and that he will show her how to do it.  So adorable.  Then he reiterated that, "I will tell her how to do it."  Okay, great, I was thinking.  But then he said, "Pick your shirt up," and I realized he was going to tell her RIGHT THEN.  And that he did.  Brought tears to my eyes at how absolutely sweet and innocent the whole exchange was...

There were two little bags of M&M's in our key bowl this evening that Jack found while eating dinner - one pink and one blue (left over from my surprise shower).  He quickly explained to me that the blue M&M's were his, but the pink ones are for Baby Girl.  Too cute...

I so love this time with him.  He's at such a fun age and is soaking up so much of the world around him...it's amazing to watch.  

No comments: